Thursday, January 15, 2009

Lies I told my children

To resume the lying issue, I aver that euphemism(or PC language, although I hesitate to use that term 'cause I am, technically, on the left) is a particularly egregious form of lying. For instance, say you wake up and you're a quadriplegic. That ain't good. Life isn't over, you can still get to a good place, perhaps even achieve fame and fortune peddling a specious form of physics(time goes in a straight line, dammit), but obviously at the least it's going to be a bit of an adjustment. Happy talk isn't going to make it better. You're not "differently" abled, you're disabled. You have been deprived of your abledness. This applies to mental illness as well, as I previously mentioned about our patients, who are locked in, being referred to as consumers. It doesn't matter whether you "have schizophrenia" or you "are schizophrenic." Spend that energy on something useful, like inventing a better antipsychotic.

No comments:

Post a Comment