Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Midnight at the Insane Asylum III- The Bloodletting

I take as my text for today's sermon an article some years back in Texas Monthly. This is usually an advertising broadsheet for the very wealthy(rich white trash, we call 'em in Tejas), but it usually has at least one good article. I call this the New Republic ratio. If that article's worth the cover, that's up for you, gentle reader, to decide. The good article is often a small town crime article, which I really like for some reason(shows the rural population is showing some spark). Anyway, this article was by the woman who wrote the book that became the movie Rush, which I highly recommend although some of my friends do not. It's a true story of this woman's work as an undercover narcotics cop in Beaumont, TX. I do not recommend Beaumont. In the course of the assignment, her partner and her are, of course, swept up into drug use and hilarity ensues. Her main point in the article was to parents: don't lie, because when your children find out you're lying they won't trust you again. You had to read the article, of course, but this struck me as sound advice. What does this have to do w/ mental illness, you ask, bored reader? Well, it's going to have to wait until this evening's post because I have to get ready for my drudge job. Have a delightful day, and try to have at least one good laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment